Coming up …
* Dartmoor Prison Museum re-opens this Saturday, July 15, 9.30-4.30, after being shut in March by the uncovering of asbestos during works to bring an old room into use. It will eventually hold an exhibition on the “conchies” who went to prison rather than go to war, and were put to work on pointless roadways on the moor. Meanwhile, open as before – Mon-Thurs and Saturdays.
* Tavistock Carnival Week ends with fair in square all day and parade on the theme Heritage Myths & Legends from Down Road to Bedford Hotel, Plymouth Road, Russell Street, West Street, Duke Street, Market Road, starting 6.30 Sat July 15.
* Mitsubishi 7s at Exeter over the weekend.
* Yacht racing, gig trips, Punch & Judy, etc, at Clovelly Maritime Festival, Sunday 16th.
* Dog Show at The Rock, Roborough Down, from 11 am Sunday.
* Open mic night of regular folk night at Westward Inn, Lee Mill, Sunday.
* One for next weekend, Saturday July 22: Bere Ferrers Watersports Day, 3 pm to 11.30 pm including bands, mud games, crabbing tournament, raft competition and greasy pole – could Horrabridge pick up some tips for bringing the river back into the village fair?
* Also next weekend, Horrabridge Community Hall (school), fund-raising quiz night organised by the Cavaliers, starting 7.30 pm, Sat July 22, £2 a head. Call Bill Mullery: 854819
* Looking a little further ahead, Sidmouth Folk Week is August 4-11 – best music in pubs and camping arenas rather than the sea front and gardens. But closer and possibly more authentic is the follow-on Dartmoor Folk Festival at South Zeal, near Okehampton, Friday to Sunday, August 11, 12 and 13. It’s the 40th and the line-up looks good, including local folk clan chief Geoff Lakeman. Festival is famous for its competitions and classes in step-dancing – tap-dancing on a small board.
Or call 01837 840102.
Our What’s On calendar is important to development of this site. Please read it, recommend it and chip in.