Tonight (Friday June 29)
* from 7.15 pm, Tavistock Musical Theatre Company is recruiting for a production of The King & I, the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, at the Quaker Meeting House, 4 Canal Road, PL19 SAR, near Bedford Square car park.
Tomorrow (Sat June 30)
* Bit of a craft fair at Jayne’s Cafe, Princetown, today and tomorrow (Sat and Sun).
* Come & Sing invitation from Mount Kelly Choral Society, who will teach all comers to sing opera choruses from 10.30 am until they are ready for a concert at 4 pm, Tavistock Town Hall. Concert admission free. £10 a head to be a singer. Enquiries to email@example.com/
* The annual Dartmoor Classic bike race runs through Horrabridge as usual. Programme at dartmoorclassic.co.uk/
* Sat July 7 is a day of street entertaiment in Tavistock, organised by the arts group Tavistock Edge.
* Tuesday July 10 is the next parish council meeting and co-option of volunteers to get back up to working strength will be on the agenda. However, the deadline for putting names forward is not until July 13 so no final decisions are expected until after that. Only one new candidate publicly announced so far – Mike Huda, landlord of the London Inn – although some of the councillors previously disqualified, through no fault of their own, are expected to stand again. Applications to the parish clerk.
* SW Equine Protection looking for stalls to book into their substantial summer fair at Yelverton on July 22, from noon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* West Devon Council has announced a “summer sale” of its garden waste collection service – sign up online before July 16 and your cuttings will be picked up until October 1 for £15 (by direct debit) with an option to renew for a full year or not after that, costing £40. See http://www.westdevon.gov.uk/gardenwaste
Also to mention
* Parking charges in council parks in Tavistock and Okehampton will go up on Monday (July 2) – amounting to 50p a visit in most cases. Check your usual car park at
And finally …
Thanks to Maxwell Law, village resident and professional photographer, for permission to use this magnificent close-up of a kingfisher at Huckworthy Bridge a week ago …
See more of Maxwell’s wildlife photography at https://tinyurl.com/ya7v7dzt/
or on his website at www.maxwelllawphotography.com/