* Lee Spencer expected back in the village for Christmas, after adverse weather patterns put paid to his hopes of launching his solo Transatlantic row this week. He will return to Gibraltar in early January, looking for another chance.
* Russell Sinclair & The Smokin Locos play Meavy Hall tonight (Friday). Sample them at
* For poster on the Meavy event, plus local pub opening times, and whatever else we’ve been sent, see our Postboard page here
* Thanks to the Plymouth Herald for advice on whether you can recycle your Christmas paper. Answer is probably not but try the scrunch test – if it stays scrunched, it’s paper; if it bounces back, it’s something else.
* Upmarket restaurants reviewer Grace Dent, for the Guardian, was very impressed with The Mexico Inn at Penzance – not actually Mexican food, but its first owner used to be a silver miner in Mexico in the 19th century.
* Just being posted on next year’s what’s on calendar – a date at Exeter Northcott Theatre next autumn (Oct 31, 2019) for The Ballroom Boys, meaning Strictly professionals Vincent Simone and Ian Waite.
For a fuller what’s on calendar, including events further ahead and further afield, click here